Hiring a Caterer for Your Wedding - What You Need to Know
Decide on the Type of Service You Want for Your Reception
One of the first steps to hiring a caterer is finding one who can accommodate the type of meal service you envision for your wedding. The type of service you choose will be determined by your budget, the number of guests you plan to serve, the type of food, and the atmosphere you want to create. Wedding meal service will often fall into one of three categories.
- Sit down service - This is typically the most expensive option, and the one considered the most traditional. Your guests will remain seated while servers will serve and clear each of their courses. With this service, you will be more limited in your entree choices.
- Buffet service - Those looking for a more affordable option, a way to provide guests a wide range of food options, or those looking to serve a large number of guests, may find a buffet the best option.
- Appetizer service - Some brides are choosing to ditch the main course altogether and have a full-service cocktail hour with heavy appetizers. This can be a great option if you need to keep your budget down but want to serve a variety of food, or if you want to keep more of a casual party atmosphere of mixing and mingling.
Find Out What Options Each Caterer Offers
Once you have determined the style of service you want for your wedding, you will need to find out what services your caterer will provide (click here to see ours!).
- Do they include cake service with the cost?
- Are they full service? Do they provide bar help, setup, teardown, and cleanup?
- Do they offer liquor, or will you need to stock the bar?
- Do they provide service items, such as plates, napkins, utensils, and linens?
Check out Their Menu Options
Now comes the part you have been waiting for; finding out the caterer's menu options and specialties, and enjoying a taste. If you have a menu in mind, or specific dietary need, be sure to ask your caterer if they offer specialized plates.
Next, find out what packages they offer and what courses are included in each package. Make sure to inquire about everything you plan to serve your guests. You will want to ask how many appetizer choices and entree options come with each package. Once you have decided on a package, schedule a time for a tasting and make your final choices.
Choosing a caterer for your big day is not a simple decision. By knowing what you want, having a realistic budget, and knowing the type of service you require, can help make the decision-making process go smoother. Get the wedding of your dreams started on the right track. Pick the perfect caterer for your reception by contacting your local caterer in Rochester, New York.